Jobs & Opportunities
VIDEO PRODUCTION INSTRUCTOR
DOCUMENTARY HISTORY PROJECT FOR YOUTH
Deadline: Monday, June 4 2018
Scribe Video Center, a non-profit organization, is an arts education center that provides instruction in video, film, audio and other forms of digital media production. Founded in 1982, Scribe works with emerging and mid-career artists, as well as with members of community organizations, who wish to make use of video as an artistic medium and as a tool for progressive social change. "Scribe" is a metaphor for the use of digital time-based media as the modern medium to record significant contemporary concerns and events.
Scribe makes use of digital video technology to document issues and ideas affecting diverse economic and cultural communities, create media works that comment on the human condition and celebrate cultural diversity. Scribe Video Center encourages new approaches to visual form and language in an effort to further the aesthetics of video movie making.
Scribe Video Center is currently seeking an instructor for the 2018 Documentary Project for Youth History Project, an after-school and summer workshop for middle and high school students. Instructors are experienced independent digital video artists in the Philadelphia area who help workshop participants research, write, shoot and edit a documentary on some aspect of Philadelphia's social history.
- Develop comprehensive curriculum that allows for both solid media production skills building of student-workers and the creation of works of high aesthetic quality;
- Identify local humanities scholars who will assist the student workers in the research and understanding of their documentary topics;
- Instruct the student-workers in all aspects of digital video and audio production, ensuring that they are adequately trained in production skills (camera, lights, sound, etc.), production planning, research processes, use of archival materials, how to work with scholars and other consultants, and other activities necessary to produce a successful documentary
- Ensure proper care and maintenance of production and post-production equipment used by the student-workers
- Complete projects, final reports, and curriculum in a timely manner.
Skills and Qualifications Required include:
- BA/BFA required, MA/MFA preferred, and documentary film/video production.
- Experience of teaching youth documentary and developing curriculum
- Skilled in: HD Video Production, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro
- Strong planning and personal organization skills
- Experience working with diverse populations of high school students
- Demonstrated commitment to Scribe’s mission and educational philosophy
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in all aspects of the production and post-production process
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and a sense of humor
Compensation & Schedule
Compensation to be determined based on experience. The instructor will spend approximately 5 hours a week with the group of student workers during the school year and up to 10 hours each week during the summer portion of the project. In addition to time for planning, the Instructor will also spend additional time as is required to maintain a reasonable production schedule and to complete the documentary on time.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and web-links of your work to “jobs(at)scribe(dot)org” with “Instructor – Documentary History Project for Youth” in the subject line.
Communication and Outreach Coordinator
Application Deadline: May 14, 2018
The Communication and Outreach Coordinator, a part time position, works with the Director and Program Manager to promote Scribe Video Center’s programs, including educational workshops, community productions and public screenings. An excellent writer and communicator, the Coordinator is focused on increasing, broadening and deepening program participation, as well as making the general public aware of Scribe produced works and programs. Planning and implementing promotional strategies for all our programs is a core responsibility of this position. A substantial part of this communication and outreach work includes creating content and designing promotional materials for media and target audiences, as well as executing social media campaigns on a variety of web-based platforms. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator also helps develop collaborative relationships, often through in person outreach, with a wide variety of Philadelphia area neighborhood organizations and schools, as well as recruits program participants to take part in Scribe’s varied programs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Works with the Director and Program Manager to plan, promote and present all of Scribe Video Center’s programs including workshops, screenings and community productions.
Develops marketing strategies for the promotion of Scribe programs and video works, including identifying target audiences and the most effective methods for reaching them.
Develops publicity materials and writes press releases and other promotional copy
Through in-person outreach to neighborhood organizations, schools and arts organizations, enlarges and deepens our constituency and collaborations.
Maintains and updates (twice weekly) the Scribe website (Drupal); utilizes social media to reach target audiences, distributes direct mail and email promotions, and develops other web-based promotions.
Maintains databases of community and press contacts. Develops and strengthens relationships with local and regional press contacts.
Arranges for the distribution and exhibition of works produced through Scribe programs by writing press releases, and program descriptions, uploading information to website and promoting Scribe work to various screening, festival and broadcast venues.
Represents Scribe on weekly radio program, at professional conferences, panels and festivals within the arts community and media arts fields.
- A commitment to progressive social change
- Excellent writer and editor
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Solid marketing experience
- Demonstrated ability with social media marketing and promotional strategies
- Superb researcher
- Knowledge about filmmaking and the local community of media makers
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of layout and design for print and web-based promotional materials
- Superior social media outreach strategies.
- Ability to work under pressure, organize work assignments, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization.
- Ability to act in a tactful and diplomatic manner and work on sensitive issues with diverse groups of individuals
- Some knowledge of both the production and post-production aspects of the moviemaking process
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML)
- Experience working in a non-profit arts organization is preferred
- A strong sense of aesthetics and style\
To Apply: Please send a cover letter detailing how you would contribute to the programs at Scribe, a current resume, and contact information for three professional references to jobs(at)scribe(dot)org
Teaching Artists Wanted
Some of Philadelphia’s most outstanding media makers have taught and presented works at Scribe. We create a venue for experienced media makers to share their skills with emerging artists at our workshops in West Philadelphia and in community media production projects throughout the Philadelphia region. We are looking for talented artists with solid skills in HD videography, sound recording, editing, animation and motion softwares, web design. Most of our instructor/facilitators have MFAs and/or have produced a solid body of creative work. Our hourly rate for teaching is comparable to area colleges. (But in all honesty, you're not going to get rich doing this, but you will make a huge difference.)
Please send a cover letter, resume and web-links of your work to email@example.com with “Teaching Artist” in the subject line.
Freelance Photographers Wanted
Scribe Video Center seeks work-for-hire photographers to document community media projects. The photographer will attend production planning meetings and document community based productions throughout the Philadelphia area. We are asking for behind the scenes production photos, as well as publicity stills suitable for newspaper, printed brochure, and web-based promotion. Scribe will pay $125 per shoot date for a minimum of ninety minutes per shoot and a minimum of 100 digital images.
If interested please send a resume and examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer At Scribe
We often need volunteers at screenings and events. If you would like to be added to our list of prospective volunteers please email us at email@example.com.